Thursday, August 23, 2012

New version of workflow not created after deployment


Hi,

We were facing an issue while deploying a custom list workflow, designed using SharePoint Designer 2010.
After deployment, a new version of the workflow was not being created. I can see that the changes I have made earlier are reflecting in the existing workflow.
Below are the steps I followed to get the job done (which of course is not working)

1.       Opened the existing workflow using SPD  and clicked on Edit Workflow.
2.       After making changes to the Tasks, I saved the workflow as a template (a wsp).
3.       Deployed the solution to the Solution Gallery and activated it.
4.       Activated the feature created at the Site Level.
When I check the workflows associated with the list, it still shows a single workflow. When I open the workflow again using Designer, it shows the changes that I have made earlier.
I am not sure what is going wrong here. There are a few things that I have noticed. After making changes to the tasks, the forms associated with the workflow change their status as (Needs Update). I opened these forms in InfoPath Designer, which shows that some fields have been added/modified and the form needs to be updated with the list of available fields. Later I publish the form to the server. Even then, I don’t see any changes in the Task form status in SPD. This is also a custom task form that we have designed.

Fix
We have found out the issue. When we tried to publish the workflow to the same site collection, we got an error. So we had to republish it several times before saving it as a template. When this solution was deployed to a different site collection, we were not able to see any new workflow association. 

The issue was with the xoml configuration file where the visibility property of the workflow was set to "DraftPublic" as opposed to the "Public" seen for normal published workflows. So we required to use designer to change this value in the workflow manually and then save it as a template

No comments:

Post a Comment